Summertime is all about eating what is fresh and in season. Peaches are one of the best of the Summer fruits, are at their best now and are are a delight to eat.
As kids, we grew up eating peaches sitting outside in the hot Australian sunshine, with all the juice dripping down our chins. Usually followed by a swim in the pool to wash it off. Maybe that is why when I came across this recipe some years later, it felt like home….and still does!
Every Summer I make this recipe for friends and family. It is SO simple and the most delicious dessert.
- 6 fresh peaches ( yellow flesh)
- 1 lemon
- 2 tbl sp redcurrant jelly ( or cranberry)
- 100g cream cheese
- 50g castor sugar
- 150ml double cream
- 25g chopped roasted hazelnuts
- Boil a pan of water and blanch the whole peaches for 1 min
- Cool a little, slice peaches in half, remove stones and skin gently.
- Arrange peach halves hollow side up on serving dish.
- Grate the lemon rind, set aside
- Squeeze the lemon juice, set aside
- Melt the redcurrant jelly gently in a saucepan
- Mix in 1 tbl sp of the lemon juice. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Spoon glaze over the peaches allowing it to drip onto the plate underneath too.
- Make the lemon mousse topping-
- Mix the softened cream cheese, sugar, almost all of the lemon rind and remaining lemon juice together.
- Whip the cream gently in separate bowl and then fold into the cream cheese mixture.
- Top the peach halves with the lemon mousse topping.
- Refrigerate until needed (will keep for 6 or so hours)
- Just before serving sprinkle with chopped hazelnuts and extra lemon rind