I love modern Salads. I say this because my world growing up consisted of iceberg lettuce, big chunks of tomato and slices of cucumber. My Mum still makes it this way and as lovely as it was and still is, I was in need of some new ideas and inspiration.
I have posted a few to try on the website. Some use the amazing Thermomix to speed up chopping time and others use different ingredients, baked or cooked first.
- 1 cauliflower, broken into small florets
- 2 tsp whole or ground cumin
- 100 ml extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 100g barley ( boiled in water until tender and drained off)
- (OR ANY OTHER GRAIN YOU LIKE- brown rice, quinoa, couscous etc)
- 2 spring onions sliced
- 50g flaked almonds, toasted in dry frying pan for few minutes till lightly golden
- 100g feta or soft cheese crumbled
- Preheat oven to 180deg c ( I use fan setting)
- Put the cauliflower florets into baking tray
- Pour over half the olive oil and cumin, toss together with your hands
- Bake for 20 minutes, until cauliflower is just tender, set aside to cool
- Make a dressing from the lemon juice, garlic and remaining oil
- In large salad bowl combine barley and cauliflower, toss through dressing.
- Sprinkle feta, spring onions and flaked almonds over the top
- Serve immediately