If anyone had told me years ago I would be writing about Green Soup I would have laughed at them.
This is because I am really a bit of a sweet tooth and a baker at heart. However taste and tastebuds change over the years and luckily for me I have come to love my greens and find as many ways as I can to cook with them. I am still working on my children to enjoy them too, but that is another blog topic in itself…..
Having just emerged from three weeks of feeling full of coughs and cold I am back on track and wanting to be back in the kitchen, I have also realised that I need to freeze some of these great soups to have on those days where no one realises Mum just needs looking after!!
So here it is the super fast 10 minute soup that is so vibrantly green, you can just feel it is doing good things for you when you eat it. You can be uber healthy and stir through a cashew or nut cream for added protein if you like too. This recipe is brilliant in the Thermomix as you can chop it, cook it and then whizz it all up in one go at the end. However if you are using traditional methods the good old chopping board, pot with wooden spoon and stick blender will suffice.
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 20ml olive oil
- 1 head broccoli, cut into small florets
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 500ml vegetable stock( hot)
- 200g baby spinach leaves, washed
- salt and pepper to season
- Place onion quarters in the Thermomix bowl, chop 3 sec / speed 5
- Scrape down sides of bowl, add olive oil and cook 3 min /100 deg / speed 1
- Add in broccoli florets and peas, cook 5 min / 100 deg / speed 1 reverse
- This will cook off the broccoli and peas just enough, you don't want them going brown!
- Add stock- I used hot water to make mine up. Cook further 4 min/ 95 deg / speed 1
- Add the spinach leaves and blend until smooth. To do this I like to start on speed 4 for about 20 seconds and then turn it all the way to speed 10. This process takes about 1 min in total. Or until the smoothness you desire is reached.Season to taste
- Serve with a swirl of cashew nut butter.
- TIP- If you are making this in the traditional way, chop your onion, saute off in oil for 3-4 min till translucent. Add broccoli and peas, cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally for 5 min. Add stock, cook again over moderate heat for approx 4 min. Add in spinach leaves and you use your blender to whizz it all up. ENJOY