Imagine waking up on Boxing Day, getting to the kitchen for your lazy breakfast and realising that your lunch or supper is going to be SO easy today!
The delicious smell of fresh stock, having simmered away during the night, is now ready to make an amazing soup and all you had to do was throw it all in the slow cooker the night before.
This stock recipe is one I have been doing for some time now and is a great way of using up all the turkey bones from Christmas Day.
It will make approx 1-2 litres of stock, depending on the size of your slow cooker dish.
- Turkey or chicken carcass, with a little meat left on
- 2 carrots, chopped into large pieces
- 2 stalks celery, chopped into large pieces, stalks on is ok
- ½ brown onion, skin left on
- 10 peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- handful parsley
- small bunch of any other herbs you have left over ( oregano, sage,)
- 1-2 litres cold water
- Put in the turkey /chicken carcass, preferably one with a little meat still on it.
- Add carrots, celery and all remaining ingredients.
- Top up with cold water until slow cooker pot is about ⅔ full and bones and veg are covered.
- Pop the lid on and set the slow cooker on low for 10 hours.
- When ready, you will need to probably add some salt, season to taste.
- Leave to cool for an hour or so, then strain off the vegetables and any excess fat.
- Place stock into containers to freeze or use for soup over the next few days.