Some years ago, my fabulous big sister used to live in London at the same time I was living there. This was such a joy, as I had the pleasure of seeing her regularly and being Aunty to her wonderful children.
She has since returned to the sunnier climate of Australia, but she is never far in my thoughts.
This dish was one that I first made and took to her house when we all had a cold Christmas together. It originates from a BBC Good Food Magazine.
It was such a hit, I have pretty much made it most years since and in between too. However it always reminds me of her and how special that time was together, so this one is for her…
It is a rustic mash with a crispy almond and parmesan gratin on top. This is a dish that you can prepare well ahead, possibly even a few days before you need it. Then simply heat through and brown in the oven. These Christmas flavours of nutmeg and sage mingle with the creaminess of celeriac and parsnip. Enjoy…
If you are using your Thermomix to make this- see the method from step 9 onwards…
- 600g parsnips, peeled and cubed
- 1kg celeriac, peeled and cubed
- 25g butter
- 50ml double cream
- 1tbl sp finely chopped sage
- FOR TOPPING:
- 50g coarse fresh breadcrumbs
- 40g grated parmesan
- handful of flaked almonds
- 1 tbl sp olive oil
- Cook the parsnip in boiling water for 2 min, then add the celeriac and boil for further 8 minutes.
- Drain well and mash together with the butter, cream and sage, season well. Transfer to a shallow oven proof dish- the one you will be serving it in at the table.
- (Note- you can make up to this stage of the recipe well before you need it and then just chill it overnight. Alternatively, wrap firmly in cling film and freeze for up to 3 weeks ahead.)
- Then place the first three topping ingredients in a bowl and drizzle oil over the top, toss to coat.
- Heat your oven to 180 deg c ( I use fan setting)
- Scatter the topping over the mash mixture, bake in the oven for 25-30min until golden on top.
- Serve and enjoy.
- THERMOMIX COOKS:
- You can use the Thermomix for this recipe:
- Prepare topping first- place bread slices and parmesan (except flaked almonds) in the bowl and mix 3 seconds, spd 5. Stir in almonds on reverse speed spoon for 10 seconds. Tip into a bowl and set aside for later.
- Place butterfly whisk into bowl, add 300g water. Add parsnip and celeriac cubes, cook 15 min / 100 deg / spd 1, If they are tender when poked with a fork they are done.
- If not quite done, top up water level top up if need be to cover veg and cook for further 5 min.
- Drain off water, using the steamer basket inside the bowl to hold veg back.
- Add butter, cream and sage and some seasoning and mix 30 sec / spd 3 until you have a rough mash.
- Tip into oven proof dish and sprinkle over gratin topping, bake 180 deg c ( fan setting) for 25-30min and serve immediately.
- , Top up water if need be... Drain off