Getting old…. doesn’t seem all that appealing.
However, I shared a lovely moment with my neighbour the other day as we both wandered back from our local village store. She is always so positive and every time I see her she has a big smile on her face.
Unfortunately this day was a bit different….she had taken a fall, as older people do and it had really knocked her around. The smile wasn’t shining through and she plodded along. She ached all over and had bad bruising. Her realisation to all of this was her outward statement ” I am just getting older”. To which I agreed, probably a bit too quickly, but was more thinking of all of us!!
Life goes by so fast and moments spent chatting to older people we know are really precious, for us and them. I went home and decided to make a delicious soup to deliver to her door later that day. She was so happy when she saw the package. I am sure I will see her again on the street soon and I hope her smile is back…
- 1 onion, peeled and cut in half
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1 tbl sp olive oil
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- 1 small celeriac, peeled and cut into 2 inch chunks
- 180g broccoli, cut into florets
- 1-2 tbl sp vegetable stock paste
- 600g water
- extra salt and pepper to taste
- cream cheese to garnish if desired
- Put onion and garlic into the thermomix bowl and chop 3 sec / spd 5
- Scrape down sides and add olive oil
- Cook 2 min / 100 deg / spd 1
- Add in spices and cook 2 min / 100 deg / spd 1
- Add celeriac and broccoli to the bowl, chop 5 sec / spd 5
- Scrape down sides and add stock paste and water
- Cook 20-25 min / 100 deg / spd 1 until celeriac is soft and cooked through
- Blend 1 minute on speed 10, gradually increasing speed to get there!!
- Add 100ml extra water if soup is a bit thick.
- Pour soup into bowls and garnish with a spoonful of cream cheese in the middle.
- Serve with your favourite bread.