A BBQ THE WORLD OVER??…..
The husband tells his wife that as a gesture of goodwill for all the cooking she normally does, that he wants to be nice to her and that they should have a BBQ over the weekend, so she can relax a little.
Translation: His wife should go and buy all of the food.
The husband says “let’s just keep it simple’
Translation: Wife makes all the salads, prepares the vegetables, marinates the meat and has all the sausages cut and presented in rows on a plate. She also makes the dessert, oh and calls and invites the friends for HIS BBQ too”.
The husband buys the beer.
On the day, his wife cleans the house and sets out bowls of munchies to keep everyone happy.
The husband greets all of “his guests” and welcomes them to his BBQ.
His wife pre-heats the grill, puts the meat out by the BBQ and lays out all of the grilling utensils next to the BBQ, so that husband is ready to BBQ.
The husband tosses the meat on the grill and drinks beer.
His wife brings out all of the napkins, plates and cutlery. She also refills all the bowls with munchies.
The husband “does all the cooking”.
The wife puts out all of the bread, butter, salt, pepper, sauces and salads. She also makes sure there are serving utensils with all of the salads.
The husband takes the meat off the grill.
His wife serves all of the guests and makes sure they all have fresh drinks.
The BBQ husband accepts all of the compliments for his wonderful BBQ.
His wife clears the table, serves dessert, makes coffee and cleans up.
Guests depart, thanking HIM for the great BBQ as they leave………..
I loved reading this little ditty about BBQ’s,….it was just so apt.
My husband is not so sure…
Anyway, we love having a BBQ at our house, it certainly reminds me of Australia and long Summer holidays!
If you are after an easy BBQ marinade, try these aromatic Chicken Kebabs.
So easy to mix together and leave to marinate for a few hours. With ingredients you are likely to have in your cupboard!
Team them with a green leaf salad, Harissa Yoghurt Dip and some flatbreads and you have an instant meal.
- 12 Chicken thigh fillets, skin off, each cut into chunks ( or about 125g per person)
- 4 cm piece ginger, grated
- 1 tbl sp paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp tumeric
- 3 tbl sp olive oil or rapeseed oil
- 4 metal or wooden skewers
- Mix all the marinade ingredients together in a large bowl ( not plastic as the tumeric will stain)
- Add the chicken pieces and mix well, cover and marinade for a few hours at least, or overnight if you can.
- Thread 3-4 pieces of meat onto each of the skewers.
- Grill on the BBQ for 10-12 minutes on med heat until cooked through and golden brown on the outside.
- While meat is cooking, put some flatbreads onto the grill to warm through.
- Serve hot. Delicious accompanied by Cucumber Yoghurt Raita or Harissa Dip.